Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Author Interview & ebook Giveaway: Double Crossing by Meg Mims

Welcome to Author Meg Mims


Bio:

Meg Mims may have been born in the wrong century. Her love of historical fiction started early, with visits to Michigan’s Greenfield Village and the Streets of Old Detroit at a museum. She was first published in children's magazines, is a staff writer for a real estate business and for Lake Effect Living, a West Coast of Michigan on-line magazine, and is also a watercolor artist and photographer. From a young age, she had a taste for classics such as Jane Eyre and Gone With The Wind, books by A. C. Doyle and Agatha Christie, along with J.R.R. Tolkien and Ursula LeGuin. Now Meg devours historical, cozy and PI mysteries. Her award-winning fiction always has a dead body or two, plus an independent-minded heroine and a sense of justice being served in the end. She lives with her husband, a drooling black cat and a make-my-day Maltese-Poodle, and enjoys games and visits with family and friends far more than housework.


http://double-crossing.com/ (book website)
http://megmims.com/blog (2nd blog/website)
Twitter -- http://twitter.com/megmims
Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/MegMims


Interview:

What is one book everyone should read?
JANE AUSTEN’S PRIDE & PREJUDICE! I loved reading it as a teen and again as an adult. It takes a good two reads to really appreciate the theme, the characters and the social nuances. Watching the BBC version helps too.

If you could have any superpower what would you choose?
To control TIME! I want at least TWO more hours every day to get that much more done, without getting tired.

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Mint chocolate chip!

If you could meet one person who has died who would you choose?
MY MOM. She was a wonderful watercolor artist and we used to paint together. It’s more of a hobby for me, since I spend more time writing every day. But I think she’d be proud of my writing, my artwork and my daughter’s accomplishments. She died over 20 years ago, and I still miss her!

What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
I love HOT scrambled eggs, toasted rye, and really really crispy bacon! Have to go to IHOP for that. I usually just grab something quick and start by checking emails, Twitter, and get to writing or blogs, whatever’s on the list for the day.

Night owl, or early bird? EARLY BIRD – my favorite time to write, while my family sleeps in. Night owls, both of them! I get grumpy trying to make it to midnight on New Year’s Eve, LOL.

One food you would never eat? Brussel sprouts. UUUUGH.

Skittles or M&Ms?
M&M’s!

Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book. If you enjoy history and vivid details woven into a great entertaining story, then DOUBLE CROSSING if perfect for you!

Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects? I’m working on a sequel, Double or Nothing, and I also have a historical mystery that awaits a publisher.

What was your favorite book when you were a child/teen?
I loved the Trixie Belden mystery series, plus the Little House on the Prairie series… I took both mystery and history and melded them together into my writing style.

What's one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?
NEVER EVER GIVE UP. Those who quit never publish.

How do you react to a bad review?
Opinion is subjective – and I respect that. Being an artist helps in that realm, because a visual painting has a particular style, and you either like that or you don’t. I’m also an avid reader, and feel the same way about a book’s style, genre, content. But I *have* picked up books that I thought I would hate, and have been pleasantly surprised. Some books I’ve disliked (even intensely) but I can always come away with something that was well done or some theme, symbolism or whatever to appreciate.

If you could have a signed copy of any novel what would it be and why?
A first edition, autographed copy of J.R.R.Tolkien’s The Hobbit, or The Lord of the Rings. Or both. LOL I loved them before Peter Jackson brought the movies to life to many people.

What's your favorite season/weather?
AUTUMN. Love the chill in the air, the trees’ changing colors, the excitement of school (although I don’t teach any longer), the frosted grass and the sunny afternoons following… corn mazes, hayrides, pumpkins, apples, etc.

What is your guilty pleasure?
Buying the annual PEOPLE magazine’s special edition – the pictures are great, and sometimes inspire a new character. I don’t usually follow celebrities.

Double Crossing by Meg Mims

A murder arranged as a suicide … a missing deed … and a bereft daughter whose sheltered world is shattered.

August, 1869: Lily Granville is stunned by her father’s murder. Only one other person knows about a valuable California gold mine deed -- both are now missing. Lily heads west on the newly opened transcontinental railroad, determined to track the killer. She soon realizes she is no longer the hunter but the prey.

As things progress from bad to worse, Lily is uncertain who to trust—the China-bound missionary who wants to marry her, or the wandering Texan who offers to protect her … for a price. Will Lily survive the journey and unexpected betrayal?
Giveaway:
1 pdf copy of Double Crossing
Open Internationally
To enter just leave a comment on this post with a way to contact you if you win.

Double Crossing by Meg Mims was released on August 9, 2011 by Astraea Press.

45 comments:

  1. Ooh I love mint chocolate chip ice cream!!! thanks for the giveaway shae_carcar@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read much more that I write, too. Breakfast at IHOP sounds good (it's a long time til morning...!) And I'm with you on the M&Ms. I like your writing advice, too. So what's next in the writing hopper, Meg?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the release of Double Crossing! This sounds like a wonderful read. Of the historicals, cozy and PI mysteries you read now, who is your favorite author?

    Thanks for the giveaway!

    kacbooks(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Meg! we seem to share the same love for mint choco chip ice cream and that yummy breakfast. i would want to see my Mom too. she passed away 2 years ago and she had the first edition copies of the LOTR Trilogy and the Hobbit when she was still single. those books are still around and are highly treasured! Mom couldn't paint but i do watercolors once in a while. c",)

    thanks for the giveaway! it would be great to win a copy of your book!

    aobibliophile(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am seriously in the mood for M&M's now! LOL... but yesterday's party at the Goddess Fish Pavilion (not too late to read the posts - http://goddessfishparty.blogspot.com) ought to mean I am too full.

    Okay, what's next? Double Crossing's sequel, Double or Nothing, I'm revising a stand-alone historical and am hoping to publish the first book in my Lighthouse Mystery series. Whew.

    My favorite author? Hmmm. I can't choose. Seriously. I love Will Thomas, S.J.Rozan, Kate Collins and Cleo Coyle to name a few. I love them ALL! OH! And Charles Todd!!

    Thanks so much for stopping in. I'll give people a chance to post more comments over the next few days and then announce the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the interview and your replies!! Your book looks like a very good mystery. I do enjoy mystery books.

    Judy
    magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I call DOUBLE CROSSING a historical western romantic suspense, since it's told in the heroine's POV and there is no amateur sleuth or police officer solving the "crime." Just poor Lily, fending for herself, and trying to survive!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the interview.

    leah49 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, an author of kindred spirit - luvs P & P and autumn! yes ") would be thrilled to win - THX!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh dear, i always think you have my email as it's required to leave a comment.
    blstef1 at mts dot net
    sorry ")

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice seeing Trixie Belden being remembered. My library only had a few of her books compared to Nancy Drew, but I remember liking her a lot because she seemed to be the Goofus compared to Nancy's Gallant.
    melorabrock {at} gmail {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Leah, Faith and Melora! The BBC version of P&P... SIGH. I loved Alan Rickman in S&S too, so much more handsome and that voice!! I cannot wait for autumn - today is upper 70s, YAY!! and Trixie vs. Nancy - yes, I think Trixie had more fun. Nancy was quite serious. I left them behind for Tolkien, though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the release of your book!
    I really like the Old Wild West setting and I am looking foward to meeting Lily. It brings to mind a lot of action.

    Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. controlling time as a superpower is a good one! i'd pick it too. more reading time is much needed ;-D
    i love the sounds of this book.
    vvb32 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please enter me in the draw!

    My email address is darlenesbooknook at gmail dot com.

    Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please enter me in contest. I would love to read this book. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL - love the sleep shirt "So many books, so little time" - SO TRUE!! I'll be drawing tomorrow morning, because there's still time to post a comment! Hurry hurry!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay..anyone who has the same love of childhood books as I do has got to have a great book. I still have both trixie and little house collections still!!
    jacque

    ReplyDelete
  19. oops..forgot my email.. for some reason google won't let me post..
    twinmomx5 at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. LITTLE HOUSE -- loved her writings. I have all the books, the bios, the diary of her going to visit her daughter Rose in Frisco, the book about her family, etc. etc. If I wasn't so darn busy, I'd read them all over again.

    TRIXIE! I have books 1-15. After that, Kathryn Kenny and Julie Campbell stopped writing - and the quality dropped like a boulder in deep water. Sigh. And I tried to read them again. A bit dated even back in the 70s.

    But Wilder's LH - classic. Any age. Any year. So much description. She influenced my style quite a bit.

    THANKS FOR STOPPING BY, ALL! I will draw soon and contact the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the giveaway! edysicecreamlover18@gmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  22. I realized that the blog owner will probably be posting something new tomorrow. Because I don't want to "hog the blog," I am tossing all the names into my lovely golden yellow "bee" candy jar (empty, unfortunately, of chocolate). Mix, shake, swirl... toss, plunge hand inside, mix again.... Ok, here is the LUCKY WINNER......

    JACQUE! Congratulations!! I will send you the PDF of Double Crossing at your Gmail address.

    THANKS AGAIN to everyone for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! Thank you for the giveaway! This book sounds really interesting! (:

    vampyreprincess109(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This book sounds so good! Thanks!

    Margaret
    singitm@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. honestly, i never read any of your books. but Double Crossing sounds interesting.

    thank for the giveaway :)

    yin3735@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to read this vook.
    gardnerad@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds like a great story! Thanks for the chance to win.

    kissyjensen at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. This one sounds great! Thanks for the giveaway!

    suzebomb(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Haha it's funny how many people don't like brussel sprouts. Me, I see them and go 'mmm' lol
    But we are in total agreement about autumn. The book sounds very interesting, thanks for the giveaway ^_^

    faefever25(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a book that I would enjoy reading.

    robseanmom[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wish I was an early bird to, I never want to wake up before noon :P.

    erika.gardholt(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I would love to read this story!
    mamabunny13 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a cool story. It sounds great!

    meljcfowler(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  34. HAHAHAHA Brussel Sprouts are my favorite but no one else will eat them!

    Thanks for the giveaway.

    Mary
    mary_reiss @ hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. This sounds like a great book. I would love the chance to win. Thanks so much for the giveaway.

    ang_ter(at)telusplanet(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  36. Greetings:
    Looks, like my kind of book.
    Like a mystery, too.
    Thanks for the giveaway.
    dayleb@ telus dot net

    ReplyDelete
  37. I really would love to win this book!

    frugalohio "at" gmail "dot" com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love historical fiction. It looks like a great read! Thanks for the opportunity to win it!

    monkeygirlsavings @ rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. coldkohmew@hotmail.com
    nice giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  40. Haven't read any of your books, yet, but this one looks really good!
    MJB
    msmjb65 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  41. thanks for the giveaway, looks interesting
    robinlscott4 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  42. This book looks like one I surely would enjoy reading

    amhengst at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  43. Gwenxkaes AT hotmail DOT com
    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW! I've been promoting Double Crossing (on sale at Astraea Press, Amazon and B&N for $2.99) and so busy starting the sequel, Double or Nothing, that I never checked back! Thanks, all, for commenting. And congrats to AOBIBLIOPHILE for winning the free PDF of my book!

    Double Crossing will be going to print this month! So if you prefer a book in hand, check that out. Thanks again. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...