Thursday, June 23, 2011

Author Interview & Book Giveaway: The Forgotten Locket by Lisa Mangum

Welcome to Author Lisa Mangum
Bio:
Lisa Mangum has loved and worked with books ever since elementary school, when she volunteered at the school library during recess. Her first paying job was shelving books at the Sandy Library. She worked for five years at Waldenbooks while she attended the University of Utah, graduating with honors with a degree in English. An avid reader of all genres, she has worked in the publishing department for Deseret Book since 1997. Besides books, Lisa loves movies, sunsets, spending time with her family, trips to Disneyland, and vanilla ice cream topped with fresh raspberries. She lives in Taylorsville with her husband, Tracy.
Interview:

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Anything with chocolate.

What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
Homemade pancakes. Oh, but I also like cinnamon swirl French toast.

Skittles or M&Ms?
M&Ms.

What's your favorite season/weather?
To quote a line from one of my favorite songs, “Sunny with a high of 75.”

Favorite places to travel?
I love to go to Disneyland. My husband and I have gone at least one a year for the past 12 years, and it never gets old.

Favorite music?
I like a wide variety of music—but mostly rock and pop. Some of the recent live shows I’ve seen include Rush (twice), Dilana, Guster, Inverse, Danielle Barbe, Paramore, Barenaked Ladies, Dar Williams, and The Gracious Few.

Night owl, or early bird?
Night owl, though oddly, I do my best work in the morning.

Pet Peeves?
I hate unnecessary quote marks on signs. I cringe at the expression, “I seen . . .” And I shudder at the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard.

What TV show/movie/book do you watch/read that you'd be embarrassed to admit?
I’ll admit it: I’ve seen every episode of Rock of Love with Bret Michaels. All three seasons. And the “Where are they now?” special. And the follow-up show, Life As I Know It. (I’m not proud of this fact, but there you have it.)

Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?
Now that the Hourglass Door trilogy is finished, I’d like to work on a contemporary YA novel about sisters. And I have another fantasy story in mind staring faeries.

Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.
One thing that has been surprisingly rewarding is hearing from readers that my books helped inspire them to want to write a book of their own. I think everyone has a story inside them that only they can tell, and I’m touched every time I hear that someone has started on their journey of storytelling because of something I wrote or said.

What was your favorite book when you were a child/teen?
I have a special place in my heart for The Secret Garden, since it was one of the first books I read with my mom. I also loved Dragon’s Blood by Jane Yolen; it was one of the first books that got me interested in reading fantasy. But to be honest, I was a voracious reader as a child and I read just about anything I could get my hands on.

What movie and/or book are you looking forward to this year?
I can’t wait for Dance of Dragons by George R. R. Martin.

Who are your favorite authors of all time?
Too many to include! But some of my favorite authors include Margaret Atwood, Stephen King, Tad Williams, George R. R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Jane Yolen, Melanie Rawn, Toni Morrison, and Neil Gaiman.

What is your favorite Quote?
I found this quote during one of my trips to Disneyland (credited to a Disney Imagineer): “Don’t hurry. Don’t worry. Don’t stop.” I love it because it reminds me not to hurry through the writing process. Take time to develop characters, plot, and setting. Learn the craft. Don’t be in such a rush that I miss the moment. And don’t worry if I don’t get it right the first time. Don’t worry what other people think or say. Justdon’t stop.

What's one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?
Finish your manuscript. Whatever it is you’re working on—finish it. Even if it’s the stupidest ending in the world—finish it. You’ll learn so much from the process of writing a book start to finish that you can’t really learn any other way. (And once you’re done, you can always go back and change the ending if you really want to.)

What do you do in your free time?
What free time? (grin) I am an editor by day and a writer by night, so what little free time I have goes to spending time with my family, going to the movies, and trying to catch up on my laundry!

The Forgotten Locket by Lisa Mangum
The future is uncertain. The battle to control the past has begun. The final book in the riveting Hourglass Door trilogy begins when Abby steps through the black door, and she doesn't dare look back. Though it means leaving Dante—wounded, bleeding, and possibly blind—she knows it is the only way to save her family and stop Zo from manipulating the river of time and throwing the future into chaos. In the end, Abby must face a final confrontation that will take her to the very origins of the hourglass door.


Giveaway Details:
1 copy of The Forgotten Locket
Open to US only
Ends 7/20/11

To enter just leave a comment on this post with a way to contact you.

106 comments:

  1. Ooh I've been wanting to read this! Thanks for the giveaway!

    Maria
    mariamusings(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one looks really good, I've been eyeing for a while.
    jennlovesed14 at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great contest!

    treerose AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good.

    ashley.mckinsey(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the giveaway.

    juliecookies(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book! Thanks for the giveaway.

    yma367@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good read.

    sgiden at verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the giveaway. Sounds like a really great read. Please enter me in contest. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this giveaway! This series is really good and I am so excited to read this book!
    NC
    Truly Bookish
    bookishlilly@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been waiting for this to come out! Really liked the first two in the series. Great giveaway!

    joylynnphillips(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! I'm so ready for this one! I read THE HOURGLASS DOOR right when it came out (I'm actually the one that ordered it for the bookstore I was working in at the time) and I fell in love with it! I absolutely cannot wait to see what happens. Thanks for the interview!
    BW
    britneywyatt[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to read and review this novel! Thank you for the chance to win :) edysicecreamlover18ATgmailDOTcom GFC Krystal Larson

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview.The Forgotten Locket sound wonderful.Please enter me in the giveaway.Thank you for the chance to win this. augustlily06(AT)aim(DOT)com.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love to own and read this book. rhonda rlrlaney@yahoo.com gfc rlrlaney

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enter me :D

    blissfulrains(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful interview, I enjoyed hearing what the author of the book had to say. Thank you, for sharing and for the generous giveaway. :)

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung
    susanhaugland@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. wheeeeeeee! awesome trailer and storyline!
    it's a must have.
    vvb32 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks good! dthicks14 at yahoo dot com

    Thanks! PS I'm not sure why I can't post comments to your blog through my google account?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, would love this book!!

    widsfam7 @ digis dot net

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the Hourglass Series and am looking forward to this new book in the series! Thanks for this giveaway! I'm at susanw28@mindspring.com.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a great read - count me in!
    rmelton[at]hotmail[dot]com
    (BTW Anonymous - I'm having the same problem & am having to use my AIM acct!? - Rita)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh this series looks amazing! Thanks for a great giveaway and author interview!
    caspian2680@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting story, count me in :)

    chamblinh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Looks so good! k.dewysockie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This would be a great summer read. Thanks for the giveaway.

    Thanks for the wonderful giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  26. ive seen this and read the synopsis on goodreads and automatically got reeled in on wanting to read this.... Thanks for this chance at winning your giveaway!!

    SpadesHigh @ http://SpadesHighReads.com
    TValeros18 AT gmail DOT com

    Thanks again and have a GREAT week!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That cover is beautiful. That, alone, would probably make me want to pick this book up. Thanks so much for the giveaway! Although if this is the last in a series, I'll definitely have a lot of reading to do to catch up!

    leemai82 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved the 1st two books. I really want this one!
    Thanks!
    andreat78@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would love to read this.
    mamabunny13 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like a great story, would love to read this!

    ctymice at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved the first two books and look forward to the thrid! Thanks!
    melanieme@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm super excited for this one! I love this series. Thanks!

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. M&Ms for sure! Thanks for the interview!

    thegirlonfire27 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I too am a night-owl and do my best work in the morning! haha.
    mommydoesblog(at)Yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you so much for this cool giveaway :)
    The Forgotten Locket looks really cool.
    dakotagirl16AThotmailDOTcom

    -Chelsea Carson

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, this books sounds great! I would love to win it!

    Nicole.Zoltack@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great quote especially for any artist!
    books (dot) things (at) yahoo (Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  38. This book sounds interesting....and you have to like anyone whose favorite place is Disneyland:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've been wanting to read this trilogy for a while, and having the third one might just get me to find the first two and read them first!

    marciclark88ATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  40. The book sounds great! Please enter me!

    I'm a follower gfc and a subscriber: dancealert at aol dot com

    I posted this to my blog: http://dancealertreads.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-am-reader-not-writer-revew-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am in the process of reading George R. R. Martin and so far I love it. Looking forward to reading this book!

    Thanks,
    Amanda
    amelno@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great interview.The Forgotten Locket sound wonderful.Please enter me in the giveaway.Thank you for the chance to win this.
    I also am doing the blog hop ;)
    heltondexter@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I only own and have only read the first one, but this makes me want to go buy and read them all... :)

    kd_write AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks of the giveaway

    valerie(at)stuckinbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I would love to read this! It sounds good!
    mittens0831 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  46. I really liked the interview. This is such a great way to get to know the author. The Forgotten Locket sounds like a good read. Thank you for the opportunity for the chance to win this. lollipopscottage(dot)blogspot(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you for the giveaway!

    janaevw (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  48. I don't like fingernails on a chalkboard either. Sends chills up my spine. The Hourglass trilogy sounds wonderful.

    smg5775@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. This book looks fantastic! I would love to win a copy! Thank you. :)

    liedermadchen9at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love to read this amazing book.
    Gloriadeal@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. I loved reading the first two books and can't wait to find out what's going to happen next. Thanks so much for the giveaway!

    hollyjolly89@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks for the chance to win giveaway.
    Looks like an interesting read.
    I'm a GFC follower - Cindy Macbeth
    cindymacbeth at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Looks like a great read! I'd love to be entered in the giveaway!

    kimbers10[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh, that series sounds amazing! Will definitely have to look into that!


    mysticsandamoonbeams@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Awesome giveaway! Thanks!!

    Rachel Leigh
    TheOneRing111 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  56. Please enter me. I need to complete my collection :)

    arallison at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  57. What an awesome book. Thank you for the giveaway opportunity.

    dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  58. This sounds like a superb read!
    lgm52@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  59. Anything with "forgotten" in the title is a great hook.
    Ann
    cozyintexas@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  60. woah, exciting trailer!!

    Chloecapri @ yahoo(.)com

    ReplyDelete
  61. sounds intriquing!
    melanie
    melanieinoh2003 at yahoo dot come

    ReplyDelete
  62. Thanks for the giveaway!

    tbweinberg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thanks for an awesome giveaway!
    shel_b21@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  64. Love this author and I totally can't wait for the last book in the trilogy. :3

    Awesome giveaway. Thanks!

    Usagi
    usagiko at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  65. The Forgotten Lock looks so good. Thanks for the giveaway!!

    Kris
    elfdrop at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  66. Thanks for the giveaway.

    aliciacald at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  67. Thanks for the giveaway

    carmel.96@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. thanks-I want to read this book!

    tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  69. I love your book preview. I really want to read this book.

    Jolynn_Reads@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  70. Lisa is so nice! Thanks for the giveaway.
    Jennifer
    kjovus at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  71. I love this series!! Thanks for the giveaway!

    eli5duke@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  72. Thank you for the giveaway!

    headlessfowl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  73. This books seems really good! Thank you so much!

    PelicanJL[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  74. These books sound so interesting. Please enter me. Thanks.

    sweetdarknectar at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  75. This is on my to read list

    robseanmomatgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  76. Another new-to-me author. I would love the chance to win a copy of her book!

    kkhaas at bellsouth dot net

    ReplyDelete
  77. Oh my gosh! I love this series!
    aeberting@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  78. This sounds like a interesting and intriguing series. Please count me in as well. GFC follower under Lucky47.Goodreads friend under Carol Luciano
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  79. OOO..Looks really good!!

    GFC Michele LUker

    jmluker at winco dot net

    ReplyDelete
  80. Thanks for the giveaway!

    nicnac63 (at) hotmail (dot) com
    http://cehart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  81. Thanks for the giveaway!

    tsiegel333@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  82. OOOOO sounds really good.... gonna have to find the first two copies online!!! :D Jerica Murphy xswetdreamr152@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  83. Thanks for the great giveaway

    tatiana_lwg(at) yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  84. I have heard such lovely things about this series. I would really like to read it.

    Thanks for the chance,
    Jules
    onebookshy at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  85. Thanks for your awesome giveaways!

    suzebomb(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  86. I been looking forward to this book can't wait to see what happens! Great giveaway thank you so much.
    tishajean@ charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  87. Great giveaway! Thank you so much for the chance to win it. Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  88. Oh, book sounds great.


    Cassandra Hernandez

    hernandezcassandra50@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  89. The book looks great! i have been wanting to read this!

    katie_tp(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  90. I haven't heard of this book. But it sound pretty awesome(:
    Fantastic interview!

    googirl94@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  91. Sounds like a good book! Thanks for the chance.

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  92. Thanks so much for the chance

    pattifritz2000 at yahoo dot com
    thanks for the chance

    ReplyDelete
  93. Oh wow! I've had my eye on this book, thanks for the chance to win it!

    pinkmaiden821@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  94. I want to read this book so bad!
    jayhawks22@sunflower.com

    ReplyDelete
  95. This looks like a great read :)

    Karen Gonyea
    ktgonyea at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  96. I enjoy your books. Would love to win

    bjarnold at infowest.com

    ReplyDelete
  97. I love your books. I would love to win this.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Awesome giveaway! Thanks! Of course, I'd have to read the other books in the series first if I win, but that's fine too! I think I'm going to put them on my TBR list anyway! books(at)bookwormfamily(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  99. The book sounds really interesting!
    melorabrock {at} gmail {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
  100. Oh, The Secret Garden is one of my all time favorites!
    booksake(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  101. Thanks for the giveaway!

    mk261274 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  102. Great giveaway!

    missy1549@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  103. I do like a good fantasy book...I will have to read the first two if I win, but I think I will get them from the library anyway.
    They sound exciting, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  104. Sounds very interesting.
    dragon_briar@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  105. "The future is uncertain. The battle to control the past has begun."

    Wow, does this grab my attention!!

    l l m 9 6 (AT) a o l (DOT) c o m

    ReplyDelete
  106. The Secret Garden and Dragon's Blood...two of myvery favorite books, also. I think it had something to do with my mother reading them with me. Thanks for the giveaway!
    puttputt1198eve@comncast.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...