Bio:
I was born the youngest child of five to a florist and a sheet metal worker. Writing has always been important to me. My first story, The Dog Who Ate Pancakes was about a gastronomically snooty labrador. I was six when I wrote it. I think my mom still has that one somewhere.
I have degrees in Accounting and Nursing and have short stories published in a bunch of places. I’ve worked in an odd concoction of jobs, too. I’ve been a flower salesperson, a christmas tree decorator, a figure skating instructor, a bartender, an IT portfolio manager, a business process architect, and most recently a mom. But none of them define who I am better than to simply say I’m a writer.
I hang out with a bunch of writerly types who have bad allergies and spend too much time in libraries and book stores. I read daily. I like a wide range of music from classics like Aerosmith, to newer classics like Muse, and the ring tone on my iPhone is 50 Cent’s “In Da Club”. I run, bike, ski, and figure skate. I’m bad at ball sports but still play because I like to make people laugh.
Cooking is a hobby of mine, especially asian dishes which my husband appreciates because it reminds him of his days growing up on Oahu. He moved to Illinois to marry me. We have two awesome kids.
Some people are dog people, some cat people, but I’m a guinea pig person. I think they are the perfect pet and spoil ours regularly. (We don’t have a cage, we have a habitat!)
I live in Illinois with my husband, two kids, and Mr.Pig.
Interview:
If you could invite any 5 people to dinner who would you choose?
The Dalai Lama, Oprah Winfrey. Steve Martin, Tina Fey, and Jon Stewart
If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you?
A gigantic slingshot, bubble wrap, and a trained chimp with an oversized arm.
If you were a superhero what would your name be?
I am a superhero and they call me "Mom".
What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Deans Fannie Mae Mint Meltaway. Yum.
Skittles or M&Ms?
M&Ms. Forget diamonds, they are a girl's best friend.
Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book.
The Soulkeepers will both entertain you and change the way you think about love, faith, trust, forgiveness and diversity.
Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?
The second book in The Soulkeepers series is titled Weaving Destiny and is slated for a Fall, 2011 release. The third book, Return to Eden, is planned for Winter 2011.
Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.
I've received several personal emails from readers who have said The Soulkeepers profoundly affected them. Hearing from my readers and learning that they've connected with the book is the most rewarding experience imaginable.
If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world.. which would it be?
Harry Potter. I spent Christmas break at Universal Studio's Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I might still be living there if my family hadn't begged me to leave.
Who are your favorite authors of all time?
Diane Setterfield, Arthur Golden, Sara Gruen, J.K. Rowling, Jane Austin
Can you see yourself in any of your characters?
There is a little piece of me in every one of them. The Soulkeepers, at it's heart, is about coming to terms with imperfection in self, family, community, and so on. I used experiences from my own life to breath life into the characters.
What's the best advice anyone has ever given you?
The best writing comes from a place inside that you think no one would ever want to see. But it is exactly that gritty individuality that people connect with on an authentic level.
The Soul Keepers:
There are no accidents.
When fifteen-year-old Jacob Lau is pulled from the crumpled remains of his mother's car, no one can explain why he was driving or why the police can't find his mother's body. Made a ward of his uncle and thousands of miles from home, a beautiful and mysterious neighbor, Dr. Abigail Silva, offers to use her unique abilities to help him find his mom. In exchange, she requires Jacob to train as a Soulkeeper, a biologically gifted warrior charged with protecting human souls. He agrees to her demands, desperate for any clue to the mystery of his mother's disappearance. But soon Jacob finds himself trapped in a web of half-truths, and questions Dr. Silva's motives for helping him.
The Soulkeepers is a YA Paranormal novel with Inspirational elements.
Giveaway Details
3 winners will each receive an ebook of The Soulkeepers
Open Internationally
Ends 8/11/11
To enter just leave a comment on this post with a way to contact you if you win


This sounds good.
ReplyDeletecmdalton (AT) sbcglobal (DOT) net
Love of Books
I've heard such great things about this one!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway!
tbweinberg (AT) gmail (DOT) com
This one sounds good. Thanks for the chance at this one.
ReplyDeleteluvswdw(at)telus(dot)net
Would love a chance at this cool book, thanks!
ReplyDeletefreda.mans[at]gmail.com
I would love to win and read this!! I have not heard of this, but it does look very good.
ReplyDeleteJudy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com
Thank you for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteceeenndee at gmail dot com
On my goodreads to be read list :)
ReplyDeleteThanks
Amanda
amelno(at)gmail(dot)com
I so agree with the M&M comment! =)
ReplyDeletevalerie(at)stuckinbooks.com
I don't remember reading YA before, but this sounds good. Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeletekacbooks at hotmail dot com
This book looks interesting, thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteliedermadchen(at)hotmail(dot)com
I am definitely interested in The Soulkeepers.
ReplyDeleteZoe Liew
therainhouse17@gmail.com
therainhouse(at)gmail(dot)com
This one sounds like a great read! I LOVE the cover. Please enter me. I am an old follower.
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting.
bevsharp@desch.org
This book sounds good :D Would love to win it. <3 :) Thank you.
ReplyDeleteLove, Carina ~ carina-olsen@hotmail.com
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteInteresting
ReplyDeleteyoungreadersathomeATgmailDOTcom
That sounds interesting. Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteLeslie
workingforthemandroid at gmail dot com
Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeletegikkinikki30 AT yahoo DOT com
I've heard good things about this book so far. I'd like to read it.
ReplyDeletejuliecookies(at)gmail.com
Intriguing, thanks!
ReplyDeletekpuleski at gmail dot com
Sounds like an interesting book.
ReplyDeleteke7yca at gmail dot com
Thank you for the opportunity to win this book.
ReplyDeletenine99nine99nine99 @ gmail.com
Sounds like a great book - thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeletebgh@byu.net
Oh I would so love to read this book. Thank you for the lovely giveaway opportunity today.
ReplyDeletedz59001[at]gmail[dot]com
This looks so good!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much.
adsanders77 at gmail dot com
Sounds like a good book, and I like the cover very much. Count me in! :)
ReplyDeleteimpy80(at)hotmail(dot)com
Thanks for the giveaway.
ReplyDeletealiciacald at gmail dot com
This book catched my eye with the cover a few days ago, i'd love to read it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway
Lissette_125(AT)hotmail(dot)com
I would love to read this.
ReplyDeletegardnerad@juno.com
looks interesting!
ReplyDeletemfallon@unitedbankcard.com
Sounds very very interesting!! Thnx for the chance.
ReplyDeletectymice at gmail dot com
thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeletehiba008@gmail.com
Great interview and giveaway! Thanks for the chance to win!
ReplyDeletepawingthroughbooks@gmail.com
Pawing Through Books
Sounds like a really good book!
ReplyDeletealison.fees@gmail.com
My first pet as an independent adult was a guinea pig. The places I rented didn't allow dogs or cats. My first guinea pig almost made it to her ninth birthday! Her companion had a biker haircut and died from a tumor on her fifth birthday. My third keeps busy as a decorator.
ReplyDeleteG.P.Ching's advice to write from "a place inside that you think no one would ever want to see" rings true with me. This summer I shared that kind of stuff in a writing course and received encouragement to keeping being open.
ahunter(at)yahoo_nf(dot)com
Great interview!
ReplyDeletechloecapri @ yahoo(dot)com
Sounds like a great book!
ReplyDeletetiffanyp672 at gmail dot com
This book looks great! I just added it to my wish list. Thanks for the chance to win. seescootread[at]gmail[dot]com
ReplyDeleteI'd love to read!
ReplyDeletemk261274 at gmail dot com
Arhh, this is going on my to-read book!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVE the cover; so different!
missy1549@gmail.com
This sounds like a great book. I would love to win an ebook copy
ReplyDeletekissyjensen at gmail dot com
Sounds like a book I would enjoy reading.
ReplyDeleterobseanmom[at]gamil[dot]com
Sounds intriguing, especially with the inspirational influence. I'd love to win a copy!
ReplyDeletetressa dot sherman at hotmail dot com
I have heard such great things about this book and I would love to win it!
ReplyDeletetfreidus@hotmail.com
Please enter me in the draw!
ReplyDeleteI'm following on GFC (Darlene), and my email address is darlenesbooknook at gmail dot com.
Thanks for the giveaway!
The story line sounds reallly interesting. Would love to have the chance to read this!
ReplyDeletecleaningrhouse at yahoo dot com
sounds interesting!
ReplyDeleteoathsworn75[at]googlemail[dot]com
Nic
This sounds great. Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeletesusan.byerly@comcast.net