Monday, October 3, 2011

Survey Feedback - Slow Load Time

I so appreciate all the feedback I've received so far from those who have taken the time to fill out my Follower Survey. One piece of feedback was that this site loads too slowly, especially for those with older computers and slower internet connections.

I know how frustrating it is to wait for a site to load. We have 6 computers in our home and there is one computer I avoid because it takes FOREVER for websites to load. Unfortunately I'm fairly clueless as to what makes my site load faster but I'm going to try to figure it out.

I tried a speed test but I have a really fast computer so load time for me is never a problem. My blog loaded in .19 seconds on my computer.

The first steps I'm taking are to reduce the number of graphics in my sidebar and change the number of posts per page. I'm working on removing all the book covers for giveaways and changing them to links. I also changed the number of posts that show up on a blog page from over a dozen to just 5. Hopefully that will help speed things along...

If you notice something specifically that is slowing the site down please let me know. The only thing I have ever noticed is that sometimes the Linky for blog hops slow things down.

10 comments:

  1. will say if i notice anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. The page loaded much faster this time for me. I'm not sure if you did your graphics, or someone else but you can reduce the quality your background and header. That will increase speed and you won't be able to tell a difference in quality. Email me if you need help brendapandos(a)gmail(dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy -
    If you take down any old mr linkies your blog should respond quicker for older computers and browsers. Also any html gadgets will also slow your blog down. Direct links are the best. Your new link w/in will also slow down your blog as well as the google adds.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typically imbedded things like flash, images, music etc bog down load speeds, yours never seem to be an issue. Shelfari's flash gets attitude and likes to stall, and some bloggers have 2-3 sidebars with images.

    You can suggest anyone with trouble can use Google Reader for reading, then click over for commenting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea removing the book covers as links. I hate when blogs have tons of widgets and ads that make everything load so slowly. I have hardly any clutter on my sidebars, and I like it like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a very fast computer, too, so I never noticed a slow load time. It's really cool that you're taking the time to change things around a bit for readers who are having that kind of frustration, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still taking long to load but that's the case w/many blogs because of very 'busy' pages-- caused by too much on the page such as graphics/widgets/ads/gadgets, etc. If I know a site normally loads slowly I just wait. We supposedly have a high speed DSL link too and this desktop is a 5 month old Dell Studio XPS.
    Very much appreciate your blog. Thanks for all your hard work keeping it current and informative.

    maynekitty///at///live//dot//com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your site loads so much faster for me than it did a week ago =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips & glad it's loading faster for some of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is still very very slow loading for me.
    Pat L.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...