Donna Fletcher Crow is the author of 40 books, mostly novels dealing with British history. The award-winning Glastonbury, A Novel of the Holy Grail, an Arthurian grail search epic covering 15 centuries of English history, is her best-known work. She is also the author of The Monastery Murders: A Very Private Grave and A Darkly Hidden Truth, as well as the Lord Danvers series of Victorian true-crime novels and the romantic suspense series The Elizabeth & Richard Mysteries. Donna and her husband live in Boise, Idaho. They have 4 adult children and 11 grandchildren. She is an enthusiastic gardener.
Donna invites you to visit her website to see her book trailers, read about all of her books, see photos from her research trips and visit her garden.
Links
Website: www.DonnaFletcherCrow.com
Links
Website: www.DonnaFletcherCrow.com
Blog: http://ning.it/dhRSDI
Facebook: http://ning.it/QoC9bv
Interview
What inspired you to want to become a writer?
What inspired you to want to become a writer?
What I really wanted was to read. I think most writers start
from that position, then when they become writers they find they have too
little time to read. One of life’s little ironies.
I was reading Georgette Heyer’s Venetia when a secondary character got hold of my imagination. I had to tell the rest of his story. It was like being pregnant— that story had to come out. I would wake in the middle of the night and write; pull over while driving to make notes; write on my shopping list in the grocery store. That book became Brandley’s Search, part of my Cambridge Chronicles series. Unfortunately, none of my other books have come to me like that, but it got me started.
I was reading Georgette Heyer’s Venetia when a secondary character got hold of my imagination. I had to tell the rest of his story. It was like being pregnant— that story had to come out. I would wake in the middle of the night and write; pull over while driving to make notes; write on my shopping list in the grocery store. That book became Brandley’s Search, part of my Cambridge Chronicles series. Unfortunately, none of my other books have come to me like that, but it got me started.
If you could invite
any 5 people to dinner who would you choose?
Ah, surely every writer’s dream is to have their favorite
authors to dinner, then just sit back and let them talk! First would have to be
Jane Austen because she has been my
lifelong literary love and I know her acerbic, witty observations would keep us
all laughing. Then G. K. Chesterton
because if anybody could keep up with Jane’s wit he could and Dorothy L. Sayers could hold her own in
that exalted company. George Herbert
could read some of his exquisite poetry to us, or better yet, sing to his own
lute accompaniment. Then that leaves me having to choose between Charlotte Bronte and Barbara Pym who would both fit
perfectly in that company. Maybe I could cheat and invite 6?
If you were stuck in
bed, what author would you want to read?
I would love to read all of Dorothy L Sayers’ Lord Peter
Wimsey mysteries straight through in
order. By keeping the titles on my wish list for several years I’ve
acquired all the books. Now all I need is the time to settle into that
delightful fictional world and live with those people. I am afraid the only way
I could manage that, though, would be if I were stuck in bed, and I’m afraid
even spending a month with Lord Peter Wimsey wouldn’t be worth that.
What is your favorite
Quote?
One of my heroes is the 18th century English writer and
preacher John Wesley. He said, “We do
not have to think alike in order to love alike.” Our world would be so much
more peaceful if people could realize this.
Who or what inspired
your last book?
My publisher asked me to write another book in my Lord
Danvers True-Crime series to follow the first three: A Most Inconvenient Death, Grave Matters and To Dust You Shall Return. I was delighted to comply because I love
working with the Victorians. I admire their energy, their devotion to family
and their upright moral code (even if it was often breached by many, at least
they acknowledged the importance of doing right).
Since these books all have an historical crime with a
fictional one woven around it I found my A
Tincture of Murder story when my research turned up the case of the
poisoner William Dove in mid-Victorian York— one of my all-time favorite
cities. And then I got a bonus when I found another true crime that is truly
more bizarre than anything Charles Dickens wrote.
And my third (or is this the fourth?) inspiration was the
opportunity to tell the story of the work of the Victorian slum priests who
defied the strictures of society to build beautiful churches in the midst of
the worst slums in order to bring beauty and a concept of heaven into poor
people’s lives. And then, (gasp!) they dared to start asylums to care for
fallen women and starving orphans. One of the major reasons I write history is
because I believe the work of people like this shouldn’t be forgotten.
What is your
favorite character in your book and why?
I love the Dowager Duchess of Aethelbert— Lord Danvers’ Aunt
Aelfrida. She is always so absolutely sure she is right about everything (even
when she’s wrong), she won’t put up with anything she considers nonsense, she
rules all around her by terrorizing everyone and yet her family secretly adores
her. She is the handiest character a
writer could possibly have because when I want to move the plot ahead all I
have to do is have Aunt Aelfrida march in and pronounce on a subject. A perfect
deus ex machina.
What is your favorite
part of the writing/publishing process?
I like to say signing autographs and endorsing royalty
checks, but honestly, I love the “magic” that happens on a good day of writing
when the story takes shape and the characters talk in my head and I wonder,
“Where did that come from?” The days when that doesn’t happen aren’t quite so
great, but I still wouldn’t trade for any other job.
How do you overcome
writer's block?
Research. I’ve never had actual writer’s block, but I’ve
come to lots of dead ends. I used to pick up the phone and call a librarian.
Now I usually turn to Google for a quick pick-me-up on the time or place I’m
writing about.
As to plot, running out of steam usually means I don’t have
enough conflict. Since I write mysteries tossing in another dead body can do
wonders for a plot.
How do you juggle
writing & family life?
I always remind myself that God made me a wife and mother
before He made me a writer. When we had children at home I only wrote when they
were in school. Summers and school vacations were my time off, too. Now that
they are all out of the nest and scattered from Los Angeles to Boston, from
Calgary to Kentucky, the daily schedule is easier, but it means taking big
chunks of time off to visit our grandchildren— 11 of them!
What's one piece of
advice you would give aspiring authors?
Read, read, read. You may not write as well as you read, but
you’ll never write better. You put an automatic limit on the quality of your
writing by the quality of your reading. So read the best. Then write from your
passion.
The fire that devastates Lord Danver's ancestral home
forces him to forces him to reconsider his younger brother's appeal for help—
no matter how absurd it might be for an Earl's son to take Holy Orders and
insist on actually living in his parish. Freddie is in trouble and family honor
is at stake.
Worse yet, the young cleric has opened an Asylum for Poor,
Degraded Females in one of the worst slums of York. Antonia is quickly drawn
into helping feed the starving women and looking after the destitute children
who come to The Magdalen House for refuge. But what of the women who have died
there under strange circumstances? Can the asylum survive when news of these
deaths spreads?
Along with the entire city of York Charles and Antonia are
swept into the riveting disclosures of the trial of William Dove where legal
principles that still affect trials a century and a half later are
debated. Questions that must inevitably
lead to solving the deaths plaguing The Magdalen House— are these natural
causes or is an insane poisoner at large in York? Perhaps even among Charles
and Antonia's own acquaintances?
Giveaway Details
3 winners will each recieve an ebook fo A Tincture of Murder
Ends 1/8/12


Kathy, thank you so much for the fun interview on your great website. I love meeting new readers and can't wait to see who wins a copy of A TINCTURE OF MURDER!
ReplyDeleteDonna
Fun post. One of these days I'll meet Donna in person, since we both live in Boise! Love your choice of people to dine with.
ReplyDeleteNow to see if the program really DID tweet or if I have to do something myself.
G.K. Chesterton and Dorothy L. Sayers... What a wonderful conversation there would be around that table!
ReplyDelete