Thursday, September 13, 2012

55% of YA Books Bought by Adults

I'm sure this comes as no surprise to most of you...

From a Publishers Weekly Article that came out today:

More than half the consumers of books classified for young adults aren’t all that young. According to a new study, fully 55% of buyers of works that publishers designate for kids aged 12 to 17 -- known as YA books -- are 18 or older, with the largest segment aged 30 to 44. Accounting for 28% of sales, these adults aren’t just purchasing for others -- when asked about the intended recipient, they report that 78% of the time they are purchasing books for their own reading.


Read the full article here: Publishers Weekly.

Let's hear it for all the other adults who like me love to read Young Adult!

6 comments:

  1. Whoo! I used to read more Adult when I wasn't an Adult and now I read a lot more YA! It's so addictive though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true, although I never really thought about it before. I'm 27 and I adore YA. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree; many of my favorite books are YA. I work in a bookstore and many doctors, lawyers, accoutants seem to buy YA for themselves. My theory is that folks who have to read a lot in their work lives, appreciate the storytelling of YA and children's books for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being embarrassed walking into bookstores and buying "kid books" for myself--until I learned I was NOT alone! LOL. We are 55% strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not surprised, but quite good to see. I'm 24 now and still love YA, it's just such a good range of books. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I hate age brackets for books. But I don't get why it's suprising that young *adult* books are bought by adults. I'm 24; I'd call that a young adult. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...