Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Guest Post & Giveaway: Ashes Ashes the Twins Fall Down by Pauline Hawkins


Welcome to Author Pauline Hawkins

Pauline L. Hawkins was born in Munson Army Hospital at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas on Easter Sunday. Pauline has been in the health insurance industry for almost thirty years, working her way up from the mailroom to corporate management and claims payment. In 2002, Pauline received her Instructional Design certification, which allows her to create instructor-led and learner-paced training curricula, along with computer-based learning activities and website creation. Pauline has enjoyed writing since she was in high school, and has decided to start sharing her stories. Ashes Ashes the Twins Fall Down is her debut book.

Website http://paulinelhawkins.com.
Twitter www.twitter.com/paulinehawkins3.


Guest Post: How did it feel to have your first book published?

Wow, exciting, scary, proud, there were all kinds of emotions. At one point I wanted to stand on top of the house and shout to the world that my book was published. Even though my book was published and the press release had gone out I didn’t have an actual copy of my book in my hand. Without the actual paperback book in your hand it still doesn’t seem completely real. You can’t touch the cover, thumb through the pages, smell the ink, and that stuff that just helps to solidify that your book has really been published.

I didn’t realize how many decisions there are that go into publishing a book. I expected to have to come up with a cover but I guess I thought that the back cover of a book just magically appeared all written, wrong. Then I had to select font style and size, paper color, where the page numbers would be located. I also had to determine if the book name and/or the chapter title would display at the top of the pages and if so where. I did self publishing so I guess I thought maybe there were templates and stuff for all this already and to a certain extent there is. But, there are choices and this was my book so who else was going to make the decisions. I think the hardest decision was the front cover. I had a cover all picked out and preliminarily completed and the illustrators at Outskirts Press did a mock up of what they thought the front cover should look like. Let’s just say I was so undecided that I had to take a vote of my family and friends. Low and behold my cover lost and Outskirts Press cover won.

Next, it didn’t take me very long to realize that the work doesn’t stop with writing and publishing your book, that’s the easy stuff. Since I self published I wasn’t dealing with a publishing company with a budget to market me I had to market me. Also, I didn’t and don’t have an agent which is one of the reasons I chose to self publish. So there was and is no one out there shouting my praises or encouraging everyone to buy my book. I am learning a whole new world that I didn’t know existed but I’ve been lucky enough to hook up with some individuals that are very good mentors and guides to marketing yourself and your book. I can definitely say that publishing my first book has certainly caused me to step out of my comfort zone but I’m enjoying it and loving it. This is what I want to do from here on out I’ve just got to get the exposure and books sold.




Ashes Ashes The Twins Fall Down

9/11: The Day That Defined a Generation Where were you on 9/11? That question has become part of the fabric of our lives as Americans. On that bright, sunny day, none of us had any idea what was in store and how it would change our lives. Depending on what part of the country you lived in, you may not have known anything was going on until several hours after the first plane struck. You may not have heard the news until you got to work, turned on your car radio, or received a call from a loved one asking if you had seen or heard the news. Ashes Ashes the Twins Fall Down is a look at the events of 9/11 from personal and informational perspectives. Author, Pauline Hawkins, who lived in Texas at the time of the attacks, shares her experience of 9/11, and its repercussions for her family, her job, and how she viewed the world. Pauline's story of coping with the news, reframing how she thought about America and the world, and making a conscious decision to become better-informed will resonate with anyone who lived through 9/11. In addition to her personal testimony, Pauline provides a thought-provoking context for the events of 9/11, including political background, social commentary, and reflections on the contributions of everyday heroes. You'll come away from this book both enlightened and comforted by Pauline's honesty and common sense, as well as her heartfelt appreciation of those who sacrificed for our country, and those who continue to work toward healing and rebuilding.




Tour Kindle Giveaway:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

50 comments:

  1. Wow, great self-publishing insight! I've always wondered if there's just a template that you plop your book text into. Sounds like a very involved process! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My school read poems for 9-11. They were so beautiful and a ton of people were crying by the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. moment of silence, spend time with family
    gkuroda at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I talk about it with my kids and say a prayer for all those who were affected by it.

    kerrie@mayansfamily.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember it. I was in 7th grade history class when we were informed something horrible happened and we got in trouble during our lunch period for not showing the proper respect but it wasn't our fault because nobody told us what happened. I didn't find out until I got home and asked why my mom hadn't gone to her college class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures and stills dude! Best memory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a moment of silence and deep reflection on how lucky I am to still have my family, my friends, my job, and my life

    ReplyDelete
  8. I talk to my kids about never forgetting what happened. We were so fortunate that all in our family was safe at the end of the day. But I had so many relatives in the city that day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember I was in English class. My teacher was checking her email while we were writing, and she abruptly gets up and turns on the news. Every class I went to for the rest of the day all had the news on. It didn't matter that the administration told the teachers to keep quiet about it through that email; the news about the towers was playing in every class room. Even though we were young then and did not fully understand what was going on because no one explained it to us while in school that day, my entire middle school was strangely quiet. The reaction from our teachers and the news let us know that something horrible had occurred on a massive scale. I will always remember 9/11 as an eerily quiet and sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will never forget 9-11, and the people who died that day and the soldiers that are still dying because of the events of 9-11. So very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't really remember a lot about 9-11. I just remember watching the twin towers falling on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I live on the West Coast and my family didn't have TV so we learned about it from friends/family members over the phone- plus I was out of school with the flu so I listened to radio coverage all day. I didn't see any of the images for 2 or 3 days so it was a very different experience for me than most people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never forgot it. I was at work when it happened. Alot of people died and are still dying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was walking at the MOA when the 1st tower went down. Each year I watch the programs on the History and Discovery channels. We must never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  16. just remember all the wonderful heroes we saw so much bad but so many heroes came out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The horror of hearing about all the people killed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Watched the tributes on TV. I remember sitting at home watching Good Morning America, when they interrupted the program and I watched the terrible news all day, long into the night. It was almost impossible to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was working at a High School then. We watched from TV classrooms. I came home and kept watching. How Terrible! It was a shock. My class made T-Shirts to raise funds. We sent all money to NYC. I continue to remember! Our Nation is strong! I pray it never happens again!!
    Cyndee Thomas
    cyndee(dot)thomas0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Moment of silence and prayer with lighting a candle for those lives lost, those lives affected, and that we never forget!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember I was working at a bank. We had no customers that whole day. The world was in shock. We brought a television into the front to watch the news coverage. I remember the quiet. There were almost no cars on the road; no airplanes in the sky. I remember thinking how can this happen here?

    ReplyDelete
  22. The day 9-11 happen I was in my grade 6 or 7 class room and my teacher brought in tv and tuned it to a channel that was talking about 9-11. I didnt believe it actually happen till i got home and it was all over the news.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember skipping work to spend the day with my husband. What should have been a fun day turned to being glued to the tv in total shock. I couldn't believe it was happening. I will never forget that day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I remember seeing it all over the news.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Being in class and everyone around me talking about it

    ReplyDelete
  26. I remember 9-11 in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I remember finding out about it after my first class of the morning. Then sitting in my dorm room with the tv on, dont remember if I had/went to anymore classes that day. Each year we take a moment to reflect on the day and everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I remember being in grade school and freaking out because my dad was supposed to be on a plane similar to the one that was coming in coming back from a business trip and my mother was terrified as well. I lived close to the city at the time -- only an hour away and we could see the smoke rising in the far off distance. It was eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I remember sitting on my Aunt's couch watching the T.V. after school one day and seeing it on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I took a sick day from Grade 7. I was sitting on the couch channel surfing and thought at first that all of the channels were playing the same movie. It was immediately after the first plane hit. I watched the whole thing live on TV :(

    ReplyDelete
  31. We remember with a prayer and a blessing and a moment of silence.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was in college and just happen to turn on the news that morning which I never did.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I remember the fated day just like it was yesterday. I was in my 9th grade World History class, I even remember whom I sat next to that day, and it was happening. The plane crashed into the building, but word hadn't spread yet. I knew of one friend who was in Study Hall and their teacher had on the tv with Matt Lauer. Then they said something had happened down in the city. So many people were confused and getting pulled out of school cause a few kids had parents/relatives that worked down at the building(s) or near the towers. Later that week was much more intense. I knew some people who lost parents/relatives that day. The more interesting part of it all? I still have a picture of myself at the ripe age of 9, and my father took a picture of me at the top of one of the towers. History for myself is forever changed because of this day and for everyone I've known in my entire 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I remember the fated day just like it was yesterday. I was in my 9th grade World History class, I even remember whom I sat next to that day, and it was happening. The plane crashed into the building, but word hadn't spread yet. I knew of one friend who was in Study Hall and their teacher had on the tv with Matt Lauer. Then they said something had happened down in the city. So many people were confused and getting pulled out of school cause a few kids had parents/relatives that worked down at the building(s) or near the towers. Later that week was much more intense. I knew some people who lost parents/relatives that day. The more interesting part of it all? I still have a picture of myself at the ripe age of 9, and my father took a picture of me at the top of one of the towers. History for myself is forever changed because of this day and for everyone I've known in my entire 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I usually spend some quiet time reflecting and praying.

    ReplyDelete
  36. My school has moments of silence

    ReplyDelete
  37. My school has moments of silence

    ReplyDelete
  38. I usually do a moment of silence and just kind of reflect on it. I was in 6th grade when it happened but it feels like it happened only a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  39. We always have a moments of prayer, silence and reflection for those that we as a nation lost and those that survived on that day.

    Thank you,

    Ollie Moss

    ollimo91@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. A prayer for the families and those still fighting for others freedom against terrorists.

    ReplyDelete
  41. By praying for everyone who died for us.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Moment of silence.
    Jennifer Rote
    wildnmild4u at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I was quite young so you don't remember much other than seeing the twin towers falling all over the news

    ReplyDelete
  44. just a moment of silence and think about the horror of the people trapped in there - regnod(at)yahoo(d0t)com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I talk to my kids about it and remember how I felt that day.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I was vacuuming and my friend called me and said "Turn on your TV". I don't watch it at all but I couldn't look away from it that day.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I was in my senior year of high school and the day pretty much stopped when the news came. They set up a TV with the news in the lunch room and my Current Events class (how ironic) had its own TV. We just watched. I was duel enrolled and left high school at noon, so I was at home when the towers began to fall. I watched with my Dad, who worked nights. I remember thinking how this would change everything but as a teen I didn’t understand how much. That afternoon I went to the local community college where I had an afternoon class and it was pretty much the same. All the TV’s had nothing but the news on it and none of the classes did anything except watch. We had all screeched to a halt to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I was at work that day and couldn't see the TV coverage until I arrived home and watched with my family, such a terrible tragedy.

    kimberlybreid at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  49. I think back on it each year so it is more reflective.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...