http://www.loriolding.com/
Guest Post: How the Origami Nun
was Made
The Origami Nun came
about in two ways. My colleague, Ruth, used to be the Chaplaincy Administrator
at the University where I work. One day she came into her office and found
someone had placed a tiny nun made out of paper on her desk. She had no idea
what it was doing there or who it belonged to. She asked around some of the
religious societies but nobody knew anything about it, so she brought it back
to the desk that she sometimes shared with me.
I think I fell in love with the origami nun at once – she
was just so small and perfectly made, and she definitely had a lovely peaceful
aura about her. It didn’t take long before she became our office mascot, and we
even used to talk to her from time to time. I’m sure she talked back.
One day, Ruth and I were chatting, and the nun came up in
conversation. Ruth laughingly said I should write a story about her. I don’t
think she really meant it but I thought it was a great idea so I did! Because
my colleague Ruth had given me the idea and is such a lovely person anyway, I
named my main character, seven-year-old Ruth, after her as well. Real Ruth was
very pleased, and loves the story too!
The main theme of my story is bullying and how to survive
it, though it’s a light-hearted and magical read as well – that’s where the
origami nun comes in. Her magic can do anything! I have first-hand experience
of these difficulties as I myself was bullied at primary school (school for
ages 5 to 11 in the UK), and all the things that happened to my fictional
heroine Ruth also happened to me. So writing down the story felt very much like
achieving a kind of personal closure in a way that doesn’t often happen in real
life. Maybe I should have had the origami nun back then! Here’s an extract from
the book, when Ruth and the rest of the children are in the playground:
Lorraine
pushed her. It was going to be a bad day then. Ruth froze. This time she
had nowhere to run as Lorraine’s friends blocked any chance of
getting away. Her throat felt dry. She wished Great-Aunt Alice was here. She
would know what to do, she would protect her.
But
she wasn’t here, and Lorraine and her
friends continued to push and prod at her, as she made herself as small
and unnoticeable as possible. Ruth tried to make- believe she
wasn’t here at all, but somewhere
else far away from school and play-time.
After
a few minutes, though it seemed like hours, Lorraine stepped back and reached
sideways to grab something Ruth couldn’t see. The
next moment something dark and hot cut out the light and she
punched at it, fingers scrabbling at whatever it was that Lorraine had thrown
over her. It felt scratchy, like wool, and it smelt musty. The more Ruth tried
to escape, the more trapped she became, and the less she could breathe. She
hated this darkness and she had to get away.
In
her pocket, the origami nun twisted and caused a pinprick of warmth to flow
through her leg. She grabbed the nun and beat at the darkness surrounding her
with it. As if she’d opened a secret door to a magic world, the darkness
disappeared and she blinked in the light again. Next to her lay the blanket
they used for the school rabbit hutch. It must have been that which Lorraine
had thrown over her. Across the playground she could see a tall figure marching
across and she could hear Mrs. Easting’s voice,
raised in anger but not at her.
None
of this mattered. With the nun in her hand giving her courage she’d
never had before, Ruth pushed Lorraine to
the ground so she landed with a thump and a yell. Then she kicked her.
I hate you, she mouthed so that Lorraine could see.
After
that, still clutching the nun, Ruth raced past her form teacher, whose eyebrows
she saw were raised in a half- moon shape and her lips opened in an O, then she
was through the school gates and out onto the pavement.
She was
going home.
That’s not the end of the story of course and there’s much
more adventure and revelation to come, for both
girls. However, my main concern in writing the book was to show that being
bullied isn’t the end and never ever has to be. There are ways out and people around us who can help, and nobody has to
suffer alone. So I’d definitely encourage anyone experiencing these kind of
issues to speak out about it, as bullying is never acceptable and needs to be
stopped. If you’d like to know more, there’s a link to an anti-bullying
campaign on the Lori Olding site which is very useful, both for adults and
children: http://www.loriolding.com/stop-bullying-now.html.
And if reading The Origami Nun helps
someone out there to stop bullying or to get help with being bullied, then I
and indeed the nun herself will be very, very happy.
Many thanks for reading.
Lori Olding
http://www.loriolding.com
http://www.loriolding.com
Seven-year old Ruth can't speak, but that doesn't mean she can't think. She knows her birthday is going to be good as her beloved great-aunt has exciting plans for her. What she doesn't expect is a magical paper nun, an encounter with a bully who may not be what she seems or a school day to remember. Because, before her special day is over, Ruth is in for some very big surprises.
Tour Giveaway:
Leave a meaningful comment on this post to be entered to win a copy of The Origami Nun. Be sure there is a way to contact you if you win. Ends 9/30/12


I LOVE the backstory on this! and I totally agree that bullying is a major issue that needs to be addressed.
ReplyDeleteTia
videoclimber(at)yahoo(dot)com
Lovely to be here today, Kathy - thanks so much for posting. And many thanks for the comment, Tia - as you say it's a major issue and one we do need to keep on speaking out about.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Lori O
xxx
I love how something small can inspire an entire story! Also it's always nice to see a story with a main character dealing with an issue like mutism.
ReplyDeleteI read this post with great interest and was captivated with the character of Ruth and The Origami Nun. I wish that everyone had someone to save them. What a beautiful story which is so meaningful and unforgettable. Thanks for the excerpt which held me spellbound. Anne. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com
ReplyDeleteThe Origami Nun lifted my spirits and gave me hope. What a beautiful concept which rescued Ruth from her tormentors. Your book is special and should be read by one and all. Ellie. elliotbencan(at)hotmail(dot)com
ReplyDeleteThe surprises that will befall this young girl sound very intriguing. Thanks for the giveaway.
ReplyDeletemtakala1 AT yahoo DOT com
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a very awesome read. Please enter me in contest. I would love to read this book. Tore923@aol.com
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review as always.This sounds like aa story with a great heart.
ReplyDeletejaynep140 @ gmail.com
Gosh, many thanks for the lovely comments, all - I really appreciate it and the Nun does too!
ReplyDeleteLori O
xxx
This looks like a great way to address a very important issue. My daughter is a teacher and I think this would be great to read to her class.
ReplyDeleteI wonder where your original origami nun came from. Maybe someone will read your story & smile knowingly.
ReplyDeletemarypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com
This is an outstanding book on the subject of bullying. The symbol of the origami nun leaves me with a feeling of peace. I want to read this book! Thank you for the chance:)
ReplyDeleteCyndee Thomas
cyndee(dot)thomas0(at)gmail(dot)com
so true-nobody has to suffer alone
ReplyDeletetiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com
Bullying is so prevalent today. Love that you took an opportunity to use your writing skills and talent to tackle this issue. Thanks :)
ReplyDeletel l m 9 6 (AT) a o l (DOT) c o m
Thank you! Yes, it's so important to keep tackling the bullying issues. Nobody should suffer alone.
ReplyDeleteLori
xxx
what a neat title
ReplyDeletegkuroda at gmail dot com
Aww, this sounds like a magical, charming story. I would love to read this and see what happens with Ruth and her origami nun.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks, everyone, for taking part in the blog tour! We have some winners:
ReplyDeleteWinner of the paperback copy of the book: llm96ATaolDOTcom
Winners of the 3 ebooks: Margie from a another post, Phyllis and gkurodaATgmailDOTcom
Phyllis - please let me know your email address so I can send you your prize - thank you!
Congratulations to all!
Lori O
xxx
Sorry, I meant Margie from here!! :))
DeleteAs Margie hasn't responded, then I've drawn another winner - which is Holly! Well done, Holly, and I'll be in touch with you shortly.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks
Lori