Author A.G. Howard
A.G. Howard is most at home when weaving the melancholy and macabre into settings and scenes, twisting the expected into the unexpected. She was inspired to write SPLINTERED while working at a school library. She always wondered what would’ve happened had the subtle creepiness of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland taken center stage, and she hopes her darker and funkier tribute to Carroll will inspire readers to seek out the stories that won her heart as a child.
A.G.’s pastimes are reading, rollerblading, gardening, and family vacations which often include impromptu side trips to 18th century graveyards or condemned schoolhouses to appease her overactive muse.
Splintered by A.G. Howard
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.
Mr. Dodo’s House
On the first day of Splintered, we fly to the highest cliffs of Wonderland to meet Mr. Dodo. He was once the royal jester for Queen Red, but was exiled to solitude in a cave. Now, even when winter comes bearing ice and snow, you won’t find a fir tree wrapped in glittery garland, or stockings hung by a fireplace alight with merry flames.
Christmas isn’t a time to be celebrated by this old bird. Having been told his days are numbered, he’s terrified by the passage of another year. Calendars paper the cave walls and birdcages filled with ticking clocks hang from dripstones upon his ceilings, in an effort to hoard every minute of every hour of every day.
Despite his fear of losing time, Mr. Dodo has agreed to give up one of his cages so you might hang it on your Christmas tree.
To be entered for a chance to win this miniature (6 3/8" tall x 2 5/8" wide) Alice-themed birdcage ornament, leave a comment in the RaffleCopter about what role the dodo bird played in the original Lewis Carroll tale. Extra entries if you tweet about this post. Open to US/Canada.
Tour Giveaway:
12 finished copies of Splintered. Open to US/Can.





the dodo bird alice in wonderland asks alice what's in her pocket
ReplyDeleteI was originally drawn into the book by the cover, but the story sounds really good too!
ReplyDeleteI really love Alice in Wonderland and this sounds really interesting and different!! The cover is really pretty too!! The dodo in the original Alice asks her whats in her pocket (thimble) and trades her that for her prize! Thanks for the giveaways! :D
ReplyDeleteThat is a fantastic cover - it really catches the eye!
ReplyDeleteMy mama always said, "Never accept trade thimbles with bald, web-footed men--er, birds."
ReplyDeleteI can attest that this book is delicious on the inside as its cover leads you to believe!!
(I LOVE your blog. The colors are so soothing and the frog makes me smile)
Love the cover and synopsis! Hope to read this one soon! I will be following the blog tour to try and win a copy!
ReplyDeleteI had a wonderful opportunity to read an ARC of SPLINTERED and holy-freaking-goodness, it was SO good. Ditto what Bethany said up there -- your blog is AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteThe Dodo washes up in the pool of tears, and in order to dry off, proposes the Caucus Race, a race where everybody wins. After the race he gives Alice a thimble.
ReplyDeleteI'm SO excited for this book! I can't wait to read about the dark twist Howard puts on the story.
ReplyDeleteAnd the dodo asks Alice what was in her pocket.
This is my first stop on the blog tour, lots of fun! I am so excited to read Splintered, I'll be reading it this month for my blog. I'd love a finished copy!
ReplyDeleteThe dodo bird was originally Queen Red's royal jester b
ReplyDeleteI'm excited about the book and your because it's an Alice retelling and because I'm really looking forward to having this book on my shelf. My favorite part of the tour so far is your stop, since you are the first!
Christina K. in the rafflecopter
ReplyDeleteIn the original Alice in Wonderland, Dodo proposes that everyone runs a Caucus race to get dry after a swim - the caucus race meant that anyone could run in whatever length or route they want, starting and stopping whenever, and in this way everyone won. Alice then gives everyone a prize when they're done, taking them out of her pocket, but she has nothing left for herself. Dodo bird asks her what else she has in her pocket and she pulls out a thimble. Dodo bird takes it from her and gives it back to her as her prize. Carroll used Dodo bird's idea of a Caucus race as a satire on the political caucus system where nothing is clear and decisions aren't forceful.
I want to read this book so bad it looks awesome!!!
ReplyDeleteThe Dodo suggests the Caucus race and hoodwinks Alice into passing out the prizes from her own possessions. He also awards her a thimble from her own pocket so she will have a prize also.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great kickoff to the Splintered tour, Kathy. :-)
The Dodo was part of the caucus race at the beginning.
ReplyDeleteI'm really liking this blog tour. Splintered is already my most anticipated book, so I love all the extra information and pictures.
I like the idea of Splintered because it's a retelling of Alice in Wonderland with a modern twist. Who wouldn't that appeal to? I've read a little bit of the ARC and the main character is very sassy - I want to read more!
ReplyDeleteI read the book already and I am all about Jeb!!!!! :D
ReplyDeleteLove the blog and all the great posts. The books Looks and sounds so good I have only heard GREAT things about it! Thanks so much for the giveaway!!!!
ReplyDeleteyes and its like alice in wonderland but a different version
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMr.Dodo is Alice's adviser.
ReplyDeleteI love when the foundation of fantasy is pulled from a work I know and love such as Alice in Wonderland. Howard's beautiful use of imagery and her incredible storytelling absolutely do it justice.
ReplyDeleteRequests awards for the cactus race.
ReplyDeleteI love that Mr Dodo is willing to share with us!
ReplyDeleteI'm positively dying to read this book. I love the anticipation! Thanks so much for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI AM SOO excited about Splintered! The dark edge given to an AiW story? SIGN. ME. UP. Thank you so much for the blog tour! It's great!
ReplyDeleteThe Dodo was part of the caucus race at the beginning.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for this tour!! Can't wait to read Splintered :D
I was first drawn to Splintered by the beautiful cover and then reading the blurb clinched it. I love dark takes on Alice's tale, like the Alice Madness video game. Anything like that is an instance grab for me. I love dark and gritty fantasy.
ReplyDeleteThe Dodo asks what else she has in her pocket.
ReplyDeletelkish77123 at gmail dot com
I love the cover of the book and the synopsis of the story makes it sound really interesting.
ReplyDeletelkish77123 at gmail dot com
This book sounds fascinating!
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome sounding book! i love retellings of fairy tales! thanks!
ReplyDeleteI see what others said but I have no memory of a dodo bird in it.
ReplyDeleteI first noticed the cover and loved it but then the summary had pulled me in even more, especially since it spins off of Alice in Wonderland and her family.
ReplyDeleteI like the cover and the book sounds like it would be good
ReplyDeleteThe cover originally drew me to it, and then I read the synopsis and have been wanting to read it since! Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to read this book! I love Alice in Wonderland. I love seeing all the little bits and pieces of the book.
ReplyDeleteHe gets everyone to race in the beginning! I think this book will be fantastic.
ReplyDeleteI had the pleasure of reading this a few months ago... And omg, it's just amazing!
ReplyDeleteThis tour lets me get even deeper into Splintered, so I love it. I want this book because the story is engaging and the cover is awesome!
ReplyDeleteHey, Kathy!! OMG!!! What a GREAT giveaway & tour!! I'm a HUGE fan of the original Alice adventures, and LOVE this retelling!! So I would have to say that I am totally enchanted (pun intended, lol) with everything about this tour!! The book sounds like a really WILD ride, and I sure do want to go on such a ride! I'm a lover of all things wacky and off the wall. So, THANK YOU for this SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS giveaway!!!!!! : )
ReplyDeleteI want to read Splintered because it sounds like something that I've never read before. And I could use something new to read! LOL The tour has been great so far! Loving everything!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the awesome giveaway & good luck everyone!! :D
I'm excited for splinter of course because of how to book sounds. I just love it not to mention I'm in love with the cover!! thanks for the great giveaway!!
ReplyDeleteI'm excited for Splinter, it sounds amazing!!
ReplyDeleteJolene A
The Dodo washes up in the pool of tears, and in order to dry off, proposes the Caucus Race, a race where everybody wins. After the race he gives Alice a thimble. I am really looking forward to this book. It looks so good.
ReplyDeleteI love Alice in Wonderland, so I thought it would be cool to read a different type of version of it!
ReplyDeleteI am looking foward to this book comming out, I love the idea of the book.
ReplyDeleteThe cover is so gorgeous....wow! So neat, these blog tours are a great way to connect bloggers and readers and authors :) Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteLoie xo
It looks like an interesting story! Love the retellings and books inspired by classics. Also love the cover! Thanks for the chance to win!
ReplyDeleteI love "fairy tale" re-tellings and Alice in Wonderland has so many great aspects to play with! Thanks for a great book tour!
ReplyDeleteI have been dying for a good Alice in Wonderland retelling forever! Wonderland is creepy and exciting and dangerous, and I can't wait to see what direction the author goes in. I've been looking forward to reading Splintered ever since I heard about it. I cannot wait!
ReplyDeleteAsks what's in herpocket! :D
ReplyDeleteAND YES! Read and ADORED the ARC and I'm planning on buying a hardback soon!
I've heard it's amazing! I'm so looking forward to it. The last AiW retelling I read was dreadful... Thanks for the chance to win!
ReplyDeleteAlice in Wonderland intrigues me, so I'm excited to read a retelling. I love re-tellings. :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love Alice in Wonderland. I haven't read the book in a long time but if I remember correctly the Dodo is the one who runs the caucus race and tries to get everyone to dry off by running . . . Alice wasn't too happy about that.
ReplyDeleteI really want to read Splintered because I love seeing what authors come up with to put a new spin on the idea of Wonderland :).
The Dodo was the one who proposed the Caucus race. He also asks Alice what's in her pocket and when she retrieves a thimble, he takes it from her and the rewards it to her as her prize.
ReplyDeleteBoosh! Can't believe I remembered that, lol.
I am definitely excited about the SPLITERED tour. It's fun to read everyone's posts and also see how active the author is in participating. Also, very much looking forward to a book does ALICE IN WONDERLAND justice. :D
runs the Caucus Race I look forward to reading this! Thanks
ReplyDeleteThe Dodo proposes a caucus race, and then gives Alice a thimble she pulled from her own pocket as a prize. I'm loving the Splintered tour - this book was fantastic, and I'd love love love to win a finished copy!
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of the story because i ADORE alice in wonderland~~~ The Dodo proposed the Caucus race, then gave alice a thimble as a prize~~~
ReplyDeleteI totally had to look this up b/c I had NO clue! It's believed that Dodo is a caricature of Lewis Carroll! ... and all the caucus race stuff to dry off from getting wet on the boat, blah, blah, blah. A whole political commentary! Pretty cool!
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting Ms. Howard!! I think her books rocks and I can't wait for it to come out to get my finished copy!!!
How awesome is this! I cannot wait for Splintered!
ReplyDeleteI've always enjoyed the story of Alice in Wonderland and I have followed A Still and Quiet Madness since before Splintered got its deal and I've been excited ever since.
ReplyDeleteWasn't the Dodo bird part of the caucus race? I think of the dodo when I'm watching Hardball and hear about caucuses...
ReplyDeleteHaven't read the book but it looks great! would love to win a copy.
ReplyDeleteLooks interesting.
ReplyDeleteThis is what I think: The Dodo bird is a caricature of the author Lewis Carroll. His real name is Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. Well they think Lewis Carroll chose the Dodo bird to represent himself because he had a stammer and would sometimes introduce himself to others as "Do-do-dodgson." This is the only thing that I found that was different and I hope I'm right:)
ReplyDeleteI love the cover.
ReplyDeleteI do wonder if AG is the cover model too. Their features are quite similar and the things that are different are easily altered with well applied makeup.....
I am enjoying the blog tour!! I've been looking forward to this tour since I've heard of the book. The book sounds AMAZING!!! I really love the idea of the main character being related to the real Alice from the story. I think that part is really awesome and love that idea. I am so excited about reading this book and I have to say that I LOVE THE COVER!! It amazing!!
ReplyDeleteSo, um, I haven't actually read the original despite my epic love for all things Alice...I'm super excited for Splintered, though!
ReplyDeleteIn order to get dry after a swim, the Dodo proposes that everyone run a Caucus race — where the participants run in patterns of any shape, starting and leaving off whenever they like, so that everyone wins.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to read Splintered! The cover is what first drew me in, and after reading the synopsis the story sound like something I would enjoy! :)
cool ornament, and i must say i do like the tour but i am new to it and the only thing i know for sure is that the book cover caught my attention and the synopsis of it is great! sounds like a good book to read!
ReplyDeleteoh, and i honestly can't recall the dodo's part in the story. was he the one who was at the shore when alice sailed up?
ReplyDeleteMr Dodo was a royal jester
ReplyDeleteI am excited about splintered cause I love retellings of wonderland
ReplyDeleteI love the cover of Splintered & it being a retelling of Alice in Wonderland is a MAJOR bonus! :D
ReplyDeleteI am dying to read this book! I love the cover and the idea of it being a retelling of the original Alice in Wonderland is fantastic. I cannot wait to get my hands on it! I would love to win it!
ReplyDelete