Thursday, November 8, 2012

Life on the Edge by Jennifer Comeaux - Guest Post & Amazon Gift Card Giveaway


Welcome to Author Jennifer Comeaux
Jennifer Comeaux earned a Master of Accounting from Tulane University and is a Certified Public Accountant in south Louisiana. While working for a Fortune 1000 company, she sought a creative outlet and decided to put on paper a story that had played in her head for years. That story became Life on the Edge, her first published novel.

When not working or writing, she is an avid follower of the sport of figure skating, travelling to competitions around the country. Those experiences allow her to see another side of the sport and serve as an inspiration for her writing. Jennifer is blessed with a wonderful family and many friends who have encouraged her to pursue her dream of being a published author.

Links: 


Guest Post - My Figure Skating Addiction

Many people ask me how I became such a big fan of figure skating. There aren’t any ice rinks near my city, and I’ve only stepped on the ice once in my life! I grew up watching every skating event on TV, but it wasn’t until I attended my first competition that my fandom turned into an addiction.

My addiction started innocently enough. A friend from college, who is also a die-hard fan of the sport, happened to be in Cleveland during the 2000 U.S. National Championships, and she called me from Gund Arena, so excited about everything she saw. She said we absolutely had to go to Boston for the 2001 Championships. I'd always loved watching Nationals on TV, but I was thinking, who really goes to those events?

My friend brought me the ticket order form, and before I knew it, we'd plunked down a few hundred dollars for All-Event tickets. I flew into snow-covered Boston in January 2001 and had no idea what I was getting into, how many different places I'd travel to during the next eleven years for competitions.

The first thing that jumped out at me in Boston was how the skaters I'd watched for years on TV were now walking all around me at the hotel and sitting next to me on the bus to the arena. I was completely star struck! I didn't know where to look first.

The next thing that blew me away was how bright and sparkly the costumes were in person. Remember, this was before HDTV became popular. When the first group of skaters came out on the ice, I felt like I was in that scene in The Wizard of Oz, when Dorothy steps out of the black and white wrecked house and into colorful Munchkin Land. I couldn't believe how every sequin glinted under the bright lights of the Fleet Center.

Watching the competition live as opposed to at home, I could really feel the emotion of the skaters, and the energy of the crowd heightened the excitement even more. I enjoyed seeing skaters that never made the TV broadcast, especially the young up-and-comers. But the highlight was seeing my favorite skater of all-time, Michelle Kwan, compete. She owned the building. Nothing could compare to the frenzy she created when she stepped on the ice. Watching her skate was such a privilege.

After I returned home and told my sister all about my experience, I didn't have to do much convincing to get her on board for 2002 Nationals in Los Angeles. And from there, I couldn't stop – 2003 Dallas, 2004 Atlanta, 2005 Portland, the list goes on. Twelve straight Nationals and tickets purchased for 2013 in Omaha. Along the way, I also added in Skate America as an annual trip and threw in Worlds '09 and the 2010 Olympics (which was a dream come true!).

Attending skating events has allowed me to visit cities I never would've visited, and I've met some amazing skaters, skater families, and fans over the years. Being at competitions is so inspiring – it’s not only made me a bigger fan but it’s also given me lots of story ideas. So, I think my addiction is a healthy one! Do you have any healthy addictions?


Life on the Edge

Nineteen-year-old Emily is new to pairs skating, but she and her partner Chris have a big dream–to be the first American team to win Olympic gold. Their young coach Sergei, who left Russia after a mysterious end to his skating career, believes they can break through and make history.

Emily and Chris are on track to be top contenders at the 2002 Winter Games. But when forbidden feelings spark between Emily and Sergei, broken trust and an unexpected enemy threaten to derail Emily’s dreams of gold.




Reading Addiction Blog Tours


Tour Giveaway:
a Rafflecopter giveaway

65 comments:

  1. I'm a figure skating fanatic too.
    Looking forward to reading Life on the Edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love figure skating! :) I've never seen it live, but it's mesmerizing on television.

    My healthy addiction is similar to your skating one. My husband and I LOVE baseball. We travel every year to different stadiums to watch games. I too have gotten to see so many cities and places I never would've seen otherwise. It's refreshing and oh so much fun! :)

    Thank you for sharing and for such a great giveaway! :)

    Marie
    songbird1613 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching figure skating! :) I wish my hubby enjoyed it as much as I do.

    Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching figure skating and this sounds like a book I would love! Thanks for the great giveaway and chance to win

    Jolene A

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching Figure Skating!
    Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved figure skating too. I don't live anywhere near an ice rink either. I think it comes from watching figure skating on TV with my mom as a child. I would love to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in Alaska where we ice skate all the time and my youngest is getting to compete with the local figure skating club. Your book sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this sport, too. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! Gift cards are always awesome. And I would love to read a book about skating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a lovely book! I love to watch figure skating!

    bgcchs(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of favorite things to watch is figure skating.
    Jennifer Rote
    wildnmild4u at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this book sounds really great! Thank you so much for your generosity and for this amazing giveaway on this lovely blog!! :D (Angie Edwards)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoy figuring skating. Thanks for having this giveaway.

    ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great giveaway! Looks like a great book too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the cover. thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally get the figure skating addiction! I also think it's one of the prettiest sports ever:)

    Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always wished I had learned to ice skate better :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Figure skating,and wanted to be the next Dorothy Hamill.

    ReplyDelete
  19. figure skating is awesome! thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love figure skating (although I'm terrible at ice skating.) I get pretty fanatical about it around the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Figure Skating is an awesomely strong and beautiful sport, tho I am a spectator and not a participant!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a really interesting book- I think I'd like it!
    orchid7

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to read this book. I love watching figue skating. Thanks for the giveaway. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. this sounds like such a fun book~I've never read a book that involved figure skating. Thanks so much for the giveaway!

    brooke811 at ymail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  25. i enjoy watching the figure skaters on TV . Me I never could ice skate just didnt do well on them. Sounds like a good read as I love reading as much as I can find the time for . Thanks for the giveaway .

    ReplyDelete
  26. I remember going to the local ice rink as a little kid, it was so much fun. The book sounds great and this is the first one I have seen that incorporates it into a story. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Figure Skating is one of my great loves. I watch it everyn time I see it on tv. The Olympics are always top priority in my house & I've gone to see the Olympic skaters perform in Chicago which was outstanding. I'm sure that I'll love tbis book. Thanks for the giveaway. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. figure skating is the one sport I really love to watch , interesting sounding book

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've always enjoyed watch the figure skating during the Winter Olympics. LIFE ON THE EDGE makes my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  30. figure skating is a beautiful sport, I love how it has changed over the years.

    quesera.sera.507679@facebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like a great book. I absolutely love watching figure skating.


    thebookiebee AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  32. thanks for this giveaway!
    gkuroda(at)gmail(d0t)com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looking forward to reading this book it sounds great Thanks for the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have always loved watching figure skating, it is so graceful. Unfortunately, I can't skate an inch, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh la la... sounds really good. Would love to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  37. There's something romantic about figure skating. I have never managed to get the hang of skating, I usually sprain or severely bruise myself in the process! Thanks for the giveaway.
    kitcat76(at)hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for this amazing giveaway - I would love to win!

    Suz Reads

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the international giveaway!!

    Rafflecopter name - Rosemarie D

    ReplyDelete
  40. I used to love to ice skate but I haven't gone in awhile. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for the giveaway! I like to watch ice skating, not much good at my self LOL :)

    Megan McDade

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love Ice Skating...and this books look like it would be good

    pattifritz2000 at yahoo dot com
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  44. I would love to add this to my classroom library!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I read and really enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Figure Skating interesting ... (like the cover art) Thanks for sharing the new to me author and book

    ReplyDelete
  47. My cousin would love this book! Now I know what to get her for Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  48. this has a great concept, i don't think i've ever seen fiction about ice skating.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love figure skating. Well, as far as watching it. I can only ice skate normally. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Sounds good! Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oh my gosh... I want that fireplace you're sitting in front of in the picture! Weird, I know, but I love fireplaces. What a perfect place to sit in front of while reading your book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. I used to ice skate when I was younger but I had no sense of balance on ice. Lol. The books sound good, my teen niece will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I LOVE skating, both doing and watching it :)
    And Life on the Edge sounds exactly my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I wish I could ice skate but my ankles are so wobbly :( I can barely roller skate LOL. But I do enjoy watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. There is no question to answer for comments, but I see everyone talking about figure skating so I am wondering if RC ate it. I love figure skating, but I don't get the chance to do it very often. I just love skating on the Frog Pond in Boston, because you not only get to skate, but you can people watch as everyone walks through the Common.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...