The Immortal Rules by Juli Kagawa
"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.
Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.
Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.
Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.
But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.
Who has read it?
I've made it 50 pages and love Julie's writing but...
So far there is a little too much violence and language for my liking and I'm really not a blood sucking vampire fan... but I LOVED the Iron Fey Series!
Is this going to be for me?
Continue or Quit - What should I do?

Keep going!
ReplyDeleteKeep going!
ReplyDeleteI liked it, but there is a lot more violence in it.
ReplyDeleteI LOVED IT! Though there is a lot more violence....It's a great story though.
ReplyDeleteOMG I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! There is a lot of violence, but the story is just amazing! I loved it better than the Iron Fey. And the Iron Fey was extremely violent too, this is just a little darker.
ReplyDeleteI think this is definitely worth persevering with - it is darker than the iron fey series, but I really loved the story :)
ReplyDeletekeep going please.............
ReplyDeleteOh you should definitely quit and send it to me and then I will read it for you and ship it back for you to read when the mood hits LOL This one has been on my wishlist a long time. Seriously though, sometimes when I am reading I just have to be in a mood for the book. Set it aside and when the mood hits chow down ;=D
ReplyDeleteIt IS a very good book, so please go on!
ReplyDeleteI loved the Iron Fey series., one of my all time favorites. I did not like The Immortal Rules at all. It doesn't get any better. If you don't like it now I doubt you like it more if you stick with it. I am sorry to say that this just isn't her best work.
ReplyDeleteI know I'm in the minority here, but I must admit that I would quit. When a book makes me uncomfortable in the beginning, it usually makes me uncomfortable all the way through.
ReplyDeleteNot sure what you should do. I'm just getting mine from the library. But if you aren't enjoying it, quit.
ReplyDeleteIf the violence bothers you, you should probably quit. While it's definitely one of my favorite books I've read this year, it's dark and violent. In my opinion, it was better than The Iron Fey, but violence doesn't bother me at all. It's a bleak world in The Immortal Rules. I'd love for you to continue and love it, too, but it's not for everyone!
ReplyDeleteEek! I wish I'd read it. Can't help. Sad face.
ReplyDeleteI loved it! But it is violent and if that is really bothering you maybe its just a story that's not for you.
ReplyDeleteKeep ON!! I loved it!! I'm not a vampire fan but I LOVED IT! :)
ReplyDeleteI DNF it, and it had nothing to do w/vamps/violence/etc. I was just bored with the story :/
ReplyDeleteI liked it, although I also lost patience in the last third (I didn't like the romance at all.) But I still think you should give it another 50 pages.
ReplyDeleteLilian @ A Novel Toybox
I really liked it! It does have language and violence, but I felt it was much cleaner than Andrea Creamer's wolves series. It is a long book too, so I understand thinking it might not be worth it. There are so many good books out there it's hard to devote so much time to something you may not like. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)
ReplyDeleteHmmm, I haven't read this yet, but now I may put it higher on my list, since I'm all about the gore!
ReplyDeleteI thought that, too, Kathy, but I'm glad I read it. Here's my non-spoilerish, rather sqeemish review: http://burgandyice.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-immortal-rules-by-julie-kagawa.html
ReplyDeleteThere are some incredible moments, so that the cover will never look the same to you again, that are definitely worth wading through some Rabids to get to.